Thursday, November 3, 2011


See this guy?

He stung me yesterday on my run....twice.  Well, maybe not exactly this one, but a cousin of his for sure!

I've been writing some informative blogs the last two times and thought I would stick this personal, random, just FYI blog in the mix.

But seriously , he stung me...did I say TWICE?

I was having a good moderate run of 4 miles timed just right before my long run on Friday..  So I was happy to have timed my week out perfectly, getting that run in was important in that flow.
Just as I was to mile 3,  feeling oh so fine,  I had just taken off my jacket.  A few paces later I felt it; a sharp piercing needle point poke.  It was right below my arm band for my iphone.  So I naturally thought somehow the armband was pinching me.  As I reached to adjust the band, the piercing became evident it was a bug and I swatted it upon which it landed on my shirt on my side.  In a split second it stung me again there under my ribs.  It happened so fast I was stunned and never stopped running in the process!

I was thankful that the woman I had just passed was far enough behind me around the last bend she didn't see the commotion and most likely embarrassing reaction.  I was NOT thankful that I had one more mile to run and on the backside of my trail with no short cuts to get to my car.  I had to keep running.

I am amazed that I have never in my life of 45 years been officially stung by a wasp or bee like creature before.  Probably because when I have seen one I run faster and they have no hope of getting me.  I am also amazed that this particular wasp had an opportunity to land on me without me noticing WHILE I WAS MOVING AND RUNNING!   Obviously this was a strain of mutant ninja covert wasps!  I never saw it coming!  That gave me something to think about while I was running with my arm and side on fire with intermittent piercing shooting pain. 

I was wondering for a little bit of my run back to car, with only one arm pumping and the other held out a distance from my side holding my shirt away from my side because each swath of material rubbing on the sting was crazy pain,   I was wondering, having never been bitten before, if I was one of the statistics of people who have allergic reactions to stings.   I kept monitoring my breathing, feeling my throat as I swallowed and moving my tongue around to feel if it was swelling or not.  A mental few pictures of "HITCH" came to my mind with Will Smith's lips swollen...it wasn't funny at the time.


I was tempted to tell a few people I passed (because at that point I was running pretty fast just to get it over with) that I had been stung.  I knew they wouldn't care and it really wasn't important to anyone except me, so I opted to do what most people do with non-important personal information, I posted it on Face Book as soon as I got in the car.

Well now here I am the next day after spending yesterday using every concoction of home remedies written as comments on my Face book post and fretful night of getting up to reapply cortisone.   I am convinced I need to do a blog on all the things that have happened and I have seen on the trail when I run.  I first have to get my phone out in time to capture the guy riding a unicycle playing the guitar!




No comments:

Post a Comment