Thursday, November 3, 2011

HYDRATION! DRINK UP!

Here is something that is a key component of going the distance.  It's not great shoes, physical condition, or a good training schedule.  It is HYDRATION!

 I just read a great article this morning.  It's focus is pre-race hydration, but it truly give the insight in HOW to hydrate well.  I think the one thing new I have learned about hydration is to change my thoughts from just "RE-HYDRATING" during and after exertion but BEFORE.  In other words, "hydrating UP" not just before a race but before training and KEEPING my body hydrated all the time even during rest periods or non-training seasons.  There are so many benefits to staying hydrated that we only realize it once we do it.  Many common health complaints, such as headaches, lethargy, depression and bloating or weight gain disappear with a regular hydration lifestyle. For a runner dehydration even on its lowest level can affect performance through fatigue, poor performance, decreased coordination and muscle cramping.

Here is a portion of the article written by  Sarah Piampiano, 2011 Ironman World Championship Top American Amateur


I still have a lot to learn about the race, but here are a few pre- and post-race tips that either worked well for me or that I picked up along the way.

Sarah Piampiano @ 2011 IM World Championships


1. HydrationBefore: Staying hydrated was probably the most valuable thing I did leading up to the actual event.  I began my hydration routine a full 2 weeks before the race.  I was never without a water bottle and tried to drink at least one bottle per hour. I often used Emergen-C for electrolyte replacement and added salt or sodium citrate to every third bottle I drank.
  Lucky for me, I don’t get the unfavorable side effects that significant consumption of vitamin C can bring, so Emergen-C was a great resource for me.  However, if you are like many individuals who
can’t handle more than a few packets a day, try to find another electrolyte alternative (Nuun tablets are a good option).
The key here is to ABP – Always Be Peeing.  A word of caution though:  people who only hydrate the few days
before the race will likely pee out many crucial nutrients the body needs.  Give yourself ample time to incorporate your hydration plan into your pre-race routine.
After:  Post race it is easy to forget about hydrating.  I was a culprit of that.  It’s ok to relax and drink other liquids, but remember that keeping your body pumped up with liquids will help you recover much faster.  Keep the fluids  coming in!   

(The American College of Sports Medicine suggest that the guideline for good hydration should be to drink no more than 1 cup of water every 20 minutes and to add into your regimen some sodium, potassium and electrolytes. )

Just writing this is making me thirsty.


No comments:

Post a Comment