Friday, November 4, 2011

Eleven..


I reached Eleven miles today...actually 11.1 - that little point one is very important!

Today on the long run I noticed a few things that started happening around mile 9.

1.  My left knee had a glitch and starting hurting periodically.
2.  I started chaffing...I know who wants to know that? But this is a common problem for runners.   Constant friction rubs the skin raw and it hurts.  Just remember this run takes over 2 hours of constant moving.  Nobody talks about it much, but you have to keep your arms a little further out from your body so they don't keep rubbing your sides.  Wearing the right running shorts helps for thighs that rub together.  There is even a product to apply that relieves and prevents it.  I'll be making adjustments necessary!
3.  My right foot again started hurting in the arch.  My feet could totally feel the pavement and it was a little painful.  I had to make a conscious adjustment to my landing to work it out.  Again, I think a nice new pair of shoes will solve this.  I love the shoes I have now- but I've trained in them for 3 years and I think they are ready to sit on the sidelines.  I also noticed a blister forming from- yes believe it or not- friction  against the edge of the lining in my shoe at the arch.
4.  My sweet little Gymboss Interval Trainer for the third time fogged up and I couldn't see the times of my intervals or how many I had done or had yet to do.  I had spent time last night trying to seal it with clear nail polish around the seams.  That was irritating, but it still vibrated to alert me to the intervals of Run/Walk just the same.  But nonetheless it pipped me off!  Thankfully I had my timer on my iphone that gave me a visual of my time.
5.  I'm thinking I will wear my water belt next time so I don't have to get off the track to get my water and snack which takes time.  Its amazing what a minute does to your time and pace.

BUT I did do several great things that I will keep doing and they ramped me up with a successful mindset!

1.  I logged every lap (mile) on my iphone timer.  This gave me a specific record of my time every mile so I can see when and where I am lagging as well as my average time.
2. I drank a lot of water the night before, taking in EmergenC last night and this morning.
3.  I had a little bit of coffee and a granola bar - in other words I gave my energy level a boost.
4.  I rehydrated, even just a bit, every two miles and on mile 6 I ate part of a mini Clif Bar to bring my sugar level up.  I noticed I actually got hungry!
5.  I picked up my pace significantly, pushing myself on the runs and then replenished and evened out my breathing during walks.  I didn't mindlessly run or walk- I gauged my paces in response to where I was in my body.
6.  On mile 8 & 9 I responded to a spurt of adrenaline and ran through the entire mile 8 and part of 9 without any walks.  This boosted my moral because I made up time and was totally stoked to do 10 and 11.
7.  I almost forgot this, but I stretched before I left the house.

When I ended my run, I stretched slowly with deep breathing because I could feel my legs aching.  I rehydrated immediately and ate a high protein meal as soon as I got home.

SO TODAY- I am one HAPPY, SUCCESSFUL Runner in Training.  

NICE TO SEE YOU ELEVEN you only took me 2.07!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment