Friday, February 15, 2013

The Power of Inspiration

There's something powerful about inspiration.  It can change the course you are on and give you ability and strength to continue and finish.  

I got inspired today on my Friday long run, the possible last long run before the 15k next Saturday.  I originally wasn't sure I would run today, since school was out  and I always take advantage of a sleep-in day.  In addition it had been rainy all night long and had gotten cold and those are always the excuses that win over a morning run.  But when I got up after I had slept in, saw it was mildly cold and just overcast  and felt the pressure of the  impending race only 7 days away I had no ability to deny myself the opportunity to train.

I'll be honest that I don't like running my normal trail later in the day.  I just don't feel as comfortable and safe.  In the early mornings there is always a flood of walkers, runners, roller-blades and even boot-camp classes going on.  But not so much later in the morning. So when I felt the "now or never get out there" come on me I had only one more option and that was to hit the busy streets.  I charted out 7 miles which actually took me on the busy stretch of populated road to the entrance of my morning run trail.  This trail I usually DRIVE to every morning, now I was going to run to it and back to the house!  

I put my light weight jacket on, put my phone in my hand instead of my arm case, put only one bud in my ear, reported my new course to my family and I was off.  Oh yes, I put a hat on, which I never wear because I feel like it's too hot, but I wanted to be incognito.  Why?  Stupid reasons like no make-up, being out in the open instead of hidden on a run trail - like anyone cares but I still have an ego.

Immediately I knew this all was the right choice for my last long run.  The course was full of distractions; honking trucks, whisking cars, uneven sidewalks, scattered debris to dodge, and even the need to improv my course to avoid stopping and waiting on the lights to change at the intersections.  To add to all that distraction the clouds parted within about two minutes and direct sun blazed down.  My usual trail is all shaded and I never have to deal with direct sun.  Sun means heating up doubly and that means early exhaustion and thirst.  I had no water with me so I had to make a quick dash into a corner CVS for a drink at the water fountain!

This couldn't be more perfect for me and my tendency to train so well but get over distracted and excited in the race and lose my focus, pace and control.  

I was so proud of myself.  Yes I said it - I was stinkin' proud of myself for pushing to the turn around at 3.5 miles without stopping to peel off my jacket and heading back as far as I could before my water dash at CVS.  I took 45 seconds of a walk in and out and finished my run at my front door. 

Now the inspiration part of this blog.  The last time I did 7 miles in training was for the half marathon.  During that training seasons I was doing the Jeff Galloway Run/Walk Method with intervals of run 3 minutes walk 1 minute.  This was the first 7 miles I have ran fully.  This is a HUGE BARRIER BREAKER for me!  I have always dreamed of running a long distance and now it's happening.  I've been working hard the last 5 months to initiate and build long runs. That's when inspiration came all over me that I CAN and I WILL go back to a half marathon running it out right and finish!   It can be done!  I could scream with thrill!

So I am determined after this 15k to enter a half and do it up right this time!  

And that is my report for the day!



No comments:

Post a Comment