Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Race Coach and Team Training!

New things are happening all the time!

I am happy to bring a celebration of a successful second Half Marathon with my run buddy Lisa J. - beating our previous time by 10 minutes!  Not bad for being 4 years older!  Now we are working on our third 15k with Gasparilla!


In addition to successes in PR's  I have created a 5k race team for Gasparilla of newbie racers! This is  such a thrill for me!  Now I'm coaching Team Training on Saturdays with a fabulous group of ladies!
It has been exciting to watch them take on the challenge!  Many of them have never run before much less enter a race!  We have started from he ground up with Jeff Galloway's interval system.


After easing them into running at a 30 second run/1 minute walk for a few weeks, this past Saturday we jumped to 1minute intervals of run/walks.  We did this consistently for two entire miles.   I kept speculating to them before the one mile mark that they may just get within a 12 minute range for they magic mile!   It was apparent that this was going to be an exciting prospect!  As they crossed the one mile mark I kicked into full coach mode pushing them to run over that line within the 12.  I announced each time with great celebration!   

The magic mile with a time for the first time is a huge accomplishment!  It should be exuberantly honored- and it was!  But no resting on laurels for this team!  We kept on for the second mile goal!  It took some effort and huffing and puffing for a few but they each crossed their finish line with a new personal record - albeit their first!!!

It was a wonderful thing seeing each one feel that sense of WOW and accomplishment for their effort!

Have I ever expressed just how much I love running?  Now not just for myself but for others!

GO TEAM DESTINY DIVAS!!!!  






No comments:

Post a Comment