Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thanksgiving Victory- December Challenge and....

Well, Thanksgiving week is officially over. I am -have to say- PROUD of myself!   I didn't overeat and I didn't gain any weight, in fact I feel a little slimmer.  THIS IS A FIRST of my lifetime!  It's a victory that is a great feeling.  I do have one conclusion on this matter:  I was so busy cleaning, cooking and hosting I didn't have time to over eat!   So "yay" for ME~!

 I think I've made it clear how detrimental school being out is on my running discipline and that was the case this week.  I did get two short runs in on the road just outside my neighborhood, which were really intense and I counted as a good runs.  They are my short two and a half milers with two nice inclines  going up and over an over pass.  So it was not all a loss.  BUT there was no LONG RUN this week.

I'm not sweating it.  I feel good.  I feel VERY confident.  And this worries me a little!   JK.  It's never good to feel too confident I think.  My middle age is showing in that remark.

My run partner, Lisa, and I have hit over 12 miles on our long runs twice now and that sets us up pretty good for 5 weeks left to the race. ( Just saying 5 weeks out is exhilarating!  I can't believe we are at this point!  )  Having done that we are where we know we can do this race.  So any other long runs are icing on the cake and it is now just important to stay fine-tuned and keep our fitness level at an optimum.

It's also important to factor in that two weeks prior to the race there will be a tapering down.  So that really only leaves three weeks of endurance and time training left.  Thinking ahead about those two weeks before the race is the huge interruption of Christmas week!   We will be in the mountains of North Carolina at that time.  I guess any runs I get in that week will definitely be including "hills" - so tapering down will probably begin promptly!

As I look at December full face I see a calendar already full in the next two weeks with appointments that are tempting to throw my training schedule off.  I am going to have to be strategic and in control.  I am going to have to prioritize and make training my number one unmovable standing appointment.  That has never worked for me so far, HA!   However,  I do feel an inner gut feeling of intensity that only a person registered and committed for a race feels.  It is instinctual and intense.  I think it's called FOCUS.

No comments:

Post a Comment