Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Today was a "rest" day. After pushing myself for more distance it's important to recover by giving the muscles some time off. When a muscle is worked out, the tissue literally is broken down and as it rebuilds it comes back stronger. (well now that'll preach!). But after 40, it takes longer to rebuild so being purposeful with rest days is vital. If training non stop, the muscle has no time to rebuild and it goes back into "punishment" already weak and vulnerable and at greater risk for injury. Basically I'd be shooting myself in the foot or shin or ankle if I didn't take a break.

Again, all the above strikes me as allegorical. We all need rest and recovery when we are under stresses that break and wear us down. If we don't, we go back in the "game" vulnerable to total breakdown. So make time to recover and rebuild. Wow- that's a good life principal.

Anyhow, I will be hitting the trail early tomorrow. I don't feel it now, I'm sore and stiff. I'll do some stretching to get myself ready. It's really a miracle that I am keeping a morning run, not being very morning friendly by nature. But there is something in running in the mornings that make it easier.

Here's an article that gives all the pluses to morning running. Enjoy!
http://mobile.active.com/mt/www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/Mornings-Workouts-Made-Easier.htm?cmp=306&memberid=107401682&lyrisid=21733506

No comments:

Post a Comment